Sunday, December 18, 2011

Memorable Birthday Dinner For Dave

Back on December 5th, we got a chance to celebrate Dave's 31st birthday. We had a special dinner at Seasons 52 in North Bethesda. It's always special for us to share delicious food together, but the night was extra special for me to tell Dave how much I love and appreciate him.

I was in the middle of doing this 30-Day challenge of encouraging your husband. I tried to do the challenge without telling Dave about it. I asked him if he'd noticed that I was trying to give him extra encouragement over the past 24 days and he said no! Haha! Then he said it's been pretty busy. It was a busy month for us, but I pointed out that I thought it had been a good month too. I noticed that as I was trying speak positively and give encouragement to Dave, he would say something encouraging back to me!  We also didn't get into any big fights/arguments that month and we weren't as snippy or short with each other.  I think overall the 30-day challenge was very good for our marriage. I've been wanting to improve on encouraging my husband and doing the 30-day challenge was a good way to get me started. I received daily emails with good questions to think through and ideas for how to encourage my husband. I found myself constantly looking for opportunities throughout the day for me to sneak in some encouragement in our conversations.

So in case I missed a day to encourage Dave, I planned to type out my words of encouragement for each day of the 30-day challenge. And at his birthday dinner I read them to him. We only got to day-3 because Dave said he was already feeling so overwhelmed with love and gratefulness. He asked if we could space it out a few days. :) So now I have many more days of the challenge to read to him.

I love my husband and I'm thankful he chose me as his wife. I see his strong desire to lead me and our family.  I see it in his words and actions. For the past month he's been waking up early in the morning to pray and read the Bible. Many times at breakfast or lunch Dave will tell me about his quiet time with the Lord. That blesses me in so many ways. When he wakes up early, it makes me want to get up early too, and it gets me talking and thinking about God and spiritual things.

Dave is also the best daddy to Lilly and Mia. He plays games with them like castle Legos. He'll help the girls make-believe that princesses have to fight off the bad guys or the evil dragon. Dave is teaching Lilly piano and makes breakfast for the girls pretty much every morning. Thank you for serving me in this way!

Dave, you're so special to me and the girls. We love you so much and hope you had a very blessed birthday!!! :D

side note: this is blog entry is posted by Lindsay, not Dave. :)

No comments: