We finally did it. We cut the paci and Mia is weened off the pacifier!
I wasn't sure when this day would come. I think I made the process harder than it actually needed to be. I felt sad that Mia would be losing something she loved at bedtime and something that soothed her. Getting rid of the paci was also like saying that my baby is no longer a baby. That's sometimes hard for mommas to say. But eh, she's still my baby even though she doesn't use the paci anymore!
It was funny, Mia was actually excited about cutting the paci. She kept saying, "Cut cut B!" She calls her paci or binky, B. So when I told her we were going to cut cut B she did a happy dance. Some moms had told me you can gradually cut it down, but I just decided to cut it half way down. I handed Mia her paci and she smiled and put it in her mouth. Her face quickly shifted to a confused and puzzled look. She took the paci out of her mouth and was trying to pull the mouth part out. Sadly there was a hole there now. She handed it to me and said, "Help paci." I told her it was very sad but paci is now broken.
So now at naptime and bedtime I'll try to give her the paci but she'll give it back to me and say, "No paci. Paci broken." Praise the Lord she's slept 2 naps and almost slept through 2 nights without her B. And I suppose momma's doing okay too.
***edit: Mia woke up at naptime today, startled by a loud noise. She called out for her paci and walk looking around her bed for it. :( I ended up staying in the room with her and patted her back a little. She's back to sleep now though.
p.s. - I wanted to mention what finally convinced us to ween Mia from the paci now. This past Saturday we went to the dentist and discovered that Mia has an open bite. Lilly has an overbite but Mia has an open bite. Her front teeth don't fully close down together. We think the paci might of had something to do with it.
1 comment:
Yay Mia, such a big girl! Hope you guys are loving your new house!
Post a Comment